Saving time and money are the top reasons that today’s executives seek to outsource site selection. Due to arduous processes, hotel sourcing is one of the top services to be outsourced.
Have you been assigned this year’s upcoming large conference and have no idea where to start? Acendas Meetings and Incentives has provided the following sensible ideas to achieve the best possible rates for contracting a hotel for your meeting:
- Consider budget. If money is a concern, choose a location that is within driving distance to a majority of the attendees.
- Pay attention to currency. When looking at international destinations, variations in currency should be reviewed for locations that may be cheaper than in previous years.
- Select 2nd tier cities. Choosing less popular destinations will reduce rates and increase opportunities to have room amenities included.
- Research airlines first. Review airline schedules and airfares before selecting locations and hotels.
- Stay practical with room nights. The larger room block your company can reserve, the lower your rate will be or it will allow for other items to be included. However, it is best to be cautious with room blocks and not get stuck paying for unused rooms.
- Anticipate schedule adjustments. If you can modify meeting dates by a week or possibly a day, this can significantly reduce rates and/or allow other amenities to be included. A standard high occupancy for group bookings is Tuesdays through Thursdays.
- Avoid peak days. In Vegas, midweek dates are best. In addition, pay attention to holiday weekends to avoid flying on the following Monday. Think about right after holidays, including the first week of January and pre/post Memorial Day.
- Expand Food and Beverage. When providing initial information and to help paint a complete picture of your meeting spend, be sure to include any snacks, coffee breaks or cocktail receptions along with breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. These extra services will assist in negotiating with the hotel when you come to contract stage.
- Show data from prior meetings. At a minimum, you should provide data from past events to validate that your guarantee numbers are practical. If you can demonstrate the amount of total business that your event and attendees can generate for the restaurant, bar, and other income areas, you will have more leverage with the hotel.
Looking for more information to outsource your hotel site selection? Acendas Meetings and Incentives offers site selection and comprehensive meeting and event planning services.